Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Quick Nutrition Tips
· Drink WATER.
· Eliminate refined sugars and limit Alcohol.
· Eat six small meals a day: breakfast, lunch, dinner and three snacks. Try to eat every few hours (ideally between 3 to 4 hours) to curb hunger and promote a higher metabolism. Always eat BREAKFAST.
· Choose whole grains and complex carbohydrates to give you more energy and keep you feeling fuller longer. Remember that whole wheat is not necessarily whole grain. Look for breads, rice and pasta that are not just brown, but also made with 100% whole grains. One serving is about the size of your closed fist.
· Leave calorie-filled, non-nutritional "junk food" at the grocery store. If you buy fresh foods, you will eat fresh foods.
· Eat as many fruits and vegetables as you want. Try to add one serving, about a handful, of each per meal. Fruits also make great snacks because they are full of natural sugar and can help fight those afternoon sugar cravings. Foods that should make up the majority of your diet are lettuce, green beans, asparagus, spinach, cucumbers and celery.
· Eat lean meats, chicken and fish whenever possible, staying away from processed and fatty meats. This will give you much needed protein with little fat. One serving is about the size of you palm. It is also possible to get enough protein with a vegetarian and vegan diet also.
· Read labels. Look at calorie counts but also look at nutritional value and ingredients. Try to avoid foods with white flour, sugar and sugar substitutes, saturated fats and trans-fats.
· Take small bags of unsalted almonds, cashews and walnuts with you to work so you don't get tempted by vending machines and break room junk food.
· Check internet sites, libraries and bookstores for recipes to keep your new lifestyle fresh and flavorful.
Island City Health and Fitness offers a wide range of services and a full gym with sauna and steam room. Island City Health and Fitness is located in the heart of Wilton Manors on Wilton Drive.
For more information contact the author Melissa Binkley at 954-318-3900 to schedule a consultation or session with a Certified Fitness Trainer or visit www.IslandCityFitness.com