- · Dietary change can enable diabetic patients to go off their medications.
- · Heart disease can be reversed with diet alone.
- · Breast cancer is related to levels of female hormones in the blood, which are determined by the food we eat.
- · Consuming dairy foods can increase the risk of prostate cancer.
- · Antioxidants, found in fruits and vegetables, are linked to better mental performance in old age.
- · Kidney stones can be prevented by a healthy diet.
- · Type 1 diabetes is convincingly linked to infant feeding practices. 1
A specific meal plan and recipes are not provided because I don’t want to violate any copyright laws. However, Dr. Furhman, Brendan Brasier, and Forks Over Knives does provide tons of great recipes and specific meal plans. The internet is also a great place to find recipes, so don’t despair. (See resources below).
all raw vegetables, including raw carrots (goal: 1 lb. daily)
cooked green vegetables (goal 1 lb. daily) **You can eat all veggies raw if you like
beans, legumes, bean sprouts, or *tofu (minimum 1 cup daily in total of these)
fresh fruit (at least 4 daily).
eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomato and other non-starchy vegetables, cooked and raw (unlimited)
**Barbie note: I would actually eliminate tofu or use it just once a week, not as a main dish.
LIMITED (not more than one serving):
cooked starchy vegetables OR whole grains–Maximum 1 cup per day (butternut or acorn squash, corn, sweet potato, brown rice, cooked carrots, whole grain breads*, whole grain cereals*)
raw nuts and seeds (1 oz. or 28.5 grams a day) or 2 ounces avocado
ground flaxseed (1 tablespoon a day)
soymilk, low-sugar preferred–Maximum 1 cup a day**
*avoid breads and cereals as much as possible
** I would recommend ALMOND, HEMP, OR RICE MILK.
between meal snacks
fruit juice, dried fruits
Dr. Fuhrman Online: Official Website
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/drfuhrman
Sample Recipes: http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/recipes.aspx
Forks Over Knives: http://forksoverknives.com/