Thursday, July 5, 2012

The 21st Century Symptom

DO YOU :



  1. Feel Tired for no reason?
  2. Have trouble getting up in the morning, even when you go to bed at a reasonable time?
  3. Feel rundown or overwhelmed?
  4. Have difficulty bouncing back from stress or illness?
  5. Crave salty or sweet snacks or caffeine and cigarettes?
  6. Feel more awake, alert and energetic after 6PM than you do all day?
  7. Have headaches in the afternoon?
  8. Have trouble sleeping at night, wake up often, or can't fall to sleep?
  9. Feel irritable between meals or shaky?
These are the classic signs of adrenal fatigue.  You may think that not wanting to get up in the morning or needing coffee is normal, you may have felt run down for so long that you don't even realize you have a problem.  Unfortunately adrenal fatigue is rarely tested for and goes undiagnosed in most cases.  I discovered a few years back that I had adrenal fatigue which had led to my hypothyroidism and have spent the last few years on my quest and journey to heal my body from this classic syndrome of stress.  How does adrenal fatigue develop?  For me it was from putting massive amounts of stress on my body both physically and mentally and never taking time to nourish myself properly both spiritually and nutritionally.  I was a fitness competitor and I worked out 3 to 4 hours a day, took numerous over the counter energy pills, drank lots of coffee, and slept very little.  I was the go-go-go girl I put tremendous amount of pressure on myself to succeed and had major bouts of anxiety, guilt, and tension when I tried to relax or take a day off.  This unhealthy lifestyle (when I was supposed to be at my healthiest) caused me to have crazy fluctuations in weight, horrible cravings, and also brought my eating disorder issues from my past back to the forefront.  But you don't have to be an athlete to have adrenal fatigue!!!

Adrenal Fatigue is a common syndrome that has developed in the 21st century due to the high demands and stress caused by everyday living!  People experiencing adrenal fatigue find that they may look and act relatively normal and have no obvious physical signs of illness, but live with a general sense of unwellness, tiredness, depression, and "gray" feelings.  Adrenal fatigue can wreak havoc with your life. In the more serious cases, the activity of the adrenal glands is so diminished that you may have difficulty getting out of bed for more than a few hours per day. With each increment of reduction in adrenal function, every organ and system in your body is more profoundly affected. Changes occur in your carbohydrate, protein and fat metabolism, fluid and electrolyte balance, heart and cardiovascular system, and even sex drive.   So how do you get back to happiness? Adrenal fatigue can take anywhere from 6 months to 3 years to completely recover from.
There are several steps that you can do to start on a path to wellness. 

  • Stop eating processed foods and sugar
  • Take at least 30 minutes daily to meditate, walk, journal, or clear your mind
  • Eliminate chemicals from you life and diet
Would you like more help with discovering how to end Adrenal Fatigue?  Are you tired of feeling worn down?  My health coaching program is designed to support you addressing these issues so you can have a happier, healthier life!  Call me at 561-578-9492 or email me at FitChicMelissa@gmail.com for a Free Healthy History Consultation. Healthy Healing Habits that last a lifetime and support you to feel your best!  Melissa Binkley    Health Coaching

No comments: