Thursday, October 11, 2012

Grain-Free Pumpkin Bread French Toast



Grain- Free Pumpkin Bread French Toast 
(Paleo)


I have been in the Autumn spirit ever since my trip to New York City recently.  I love Autumn and the vegetables that come from this time of year are my favorite!  I am always looking for ways to incorporate them into my diet!  The air this morning is crisp and cool and I have a heavenly glimpse of what I miss most about this season.  I remember bonfires and hay rides.  I took my daughter to the apple orchards when she was young and we would carve pumpkins every Halloween.  Unfortunately in Florida this season in easily missed so I am always looking for ways to bring back those memories.  Some of my favorites things to make include pumpkin butter, pumpkin pancakes, roasted root vegetables, and roasted beets.  So this time I have decided to upgrade an old classic favorite: French Toast.  
As a Health Coach there are some food rules I have come to follow in my journey to better health and healing myself from hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue.  The number one food rule is USE REAL FOOD!  I stay away from processed foods and that means when I bake I don't use processed sugar and I also prefer gluten free or grain free flours.  I recommend to all my clients to eat whole foods, but everything else is very individualized. One person's treasure can be another person's poison.

So this wonderful recipe comes from wanting something yummy for breakfast but different.  First you have to start with the PUMPKIN BREAD, you can find this recipe on my website but I will show you it quickly here!

To make the Pumpkin Bread mix the almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and baking soda till fine without any lumps.  In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, pumpkin, coconut milk, coconut oil, and honey. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and incorporate until smooth and creamy. Pour in oiled bread pan and bake for 45 minutes at 350.  Get my recipe here : Pumpkin Bread Paleo




Pumpkin Bread French Toast

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:
4 Slices Pumpkin Bread
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
Dash of Cinnamon and Nutmeg
Coconut Oil
Maple Syrup

Heat griddle or skillet to medium heat. Lightly oil with coconut oil. Add 2 eggs to a flat dish and beat till fluffy.  Add vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Place pumpkin bread in egg mixture and allow to soak then flip over to cover both sides.  

Place pumpkin bread on griddle and fry.  Each side should be be left for several minutes before flipping over.





Serve hot topped with pure Maple Syrup for a decadent, yet healthy alternative to sugar loaded French Toast!  Love these recipes and want to learn more?  I offer one on one health coaching, group programs, cooking classes, and workshops.  Call me for a consultation at 561-578-9492 or visit my website Healthy Healing Habits

No comments: